Skip to main content

My Thoughts On Three Fun Movies

  Movies are great. Many people think so. Many people praise the art form, the communication through the visual medium. They praise it. And, I agree. 

Years ago, I watched Adam Sandler and laughed at his "goofy antics" as he put on a funny face and tried to beat up his grandfather. Yes, I was one of those people. Laughing at dirty jokes and watching Thomas The Tank Engine crash into a tank of gasoline, and watching Pac-Man eat sentient ghosts. 

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, but I'm not that kind of person now. Time has made me an unhappy, miserable, old man and has shifted my tastes. For years, I have been watching movies, but these films are some of the greatest I've ever seen. Or, the opposite for everybody else. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Inception

The first film on the list is Inception, which is often the most confusing thing to me because I could not rewatch it a second time, although this, perhaps, was the first film to make me feel tingly and strangely affected inside. I mean, it's terrifying? But at the same time, it's amazing. Lurid, fresh, beautiful. Sure, I might not have watched it on the big screen, but, sitting at home, lazily zoning out on the couch, this movie was immediately impactful. 

This movie itself, also, made me a large fan of Christopher Nolan. Although, The Dark Knight Rises and Dunkirk were confusing, alright watches. But, still, only the ending was the most impactful to me. The amount of time passing was like those strangely existential Teen Titans Cartoons I used to watch on Cartoon Network, which still traumatizes me today and leave me crippled and horribly stressed about the future. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. But this movie is great, it's like Paprika but mixed with a bit of ol' Borges, the man who made Babel. 




Seven Samurai

Seven Samurai was a great watch, back when I had finished 2001: A Space Odyssey and was idling along the way, memorizing and rewatching old Kubrick Films, I stumbled upon Akira Kurosawa and the Seven Samurai while I scrolled along MetaCritic. I had HBO Max, and so, I watched the entire length of the film. In Black and White and full translated Japanese, which always sounds strangely unnatural to me, like bad Chekhov and Dostoevsky translations. But, still, the movie was grand, it was magnificent, sunny, strange, interesting. The cinematography was always grand, with a splash of depth, because Akira Kurosawa always had a way with framing. 


It's a splendid movie to watch, and the ending has a tragic sense to it, where they all die, and the war seems brutal and cold. There is a reason why this is the greatest movie of all time. With its wide cast of characters, interesting themes, and fully-fleshed out feudalistic world. At some places, it turns more and more soft and colorful, while other times it reveals the harshness of a world. I've always felt that this movie is the beginning of fantasy action films and further heist films such as Ocean's 8 and LOTR. And more, due to the influence on Kubrick and more interesting directors.

Life Of Pi

Somehow, a movie about a lion and a lonely little boy really made my day, and now I have extremely beautiful memories about this movie. For one thing, the cinematography is top-notch genius. The sinking ship, the waves that are like mountains, and the allegory to god are all reflected by the epics of the cinematography. It's a dream of madness and magic. It's one of my greatest watches because of those significant things.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Great, Subtle, Chess Sacrifices, Moves, And Ideas

 \   As Gata Kamsky said, 'I'm a famous f******legend, and some prick is flagging me!'. Some famous life advice. Chess is a game of extremely weird and interesting proportions, semi-positional, pattern-filled, and with weird, interesting, and beautiful things, like sacrifices... Ideas that appear nonsensical on the outside, but filled with a secret brilliancy. Through five games, here are some interesting, odd, sacrifices and moves that I've found online.  5 McDonnell vs Bourdannais(0-1) https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/pgn/zrVDM1Ldc One of the more interesting chess games from the 18th century showed the power of pawns, showing a mobile block of connect-three, and with the final position being a mate in 2-3. Arising from the Open Sicilian, one of the earliest master games to employ the defense, the three pawns ran down the board after the f-pawn pushed down the board.  f5 itself is a blunder, but fxe4, the 23rd move in the game is a powerful, brilliant move, as B...

About the Creator of Seven Samurai: Akira Kurosawa

  Akira Kurosawa On Set Of Seven Samurai Akira Kurosawa (Director/Screenwriter) (1910-1998)  A Japanese Filmmaker and a painter who directed thirty films for nearly fifty-seven years. Akira Kurosawa is well known for Ran, Rashomon, and Seven Samurai, all of which make him one of the most influential filmmakers in cinema. In the last years of his life, he won an Honorary International Oscar for his contributions to cinema. Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini, Satyajit Ray, Roman Polanski, Bernard Bertolucci, Andrei Tarvosky, Sidney Lumet, Werner Herzog, Stanley Kubrick, and Robert Altman, praised, lauded, and drew inspiration from Kurosawa. Especially from Rashomon. He died of a stroke at the age of 88.  How Akira Kurosawa Made Seven Samurai Akira Kurosawa took inspiration from a story about Samurai defending farmers. It took six weeks to create the screenplay, and they were innovative as they refined, remixed, and remade the theme of the assembly of heroic characters. As of ...

The Legacy Of Seven Samurai

  Originally made in 1954, Seven Samurai has had a profound impact on Cinema. With its complex, and great narrative, rich and deep characters, and drama with more adrenaline-filled action.  But from this, newer films have been birthed following in the lineage of Seven Samurai. Like Mad Max: Fury Road, Star Wars, Avengers, Ocean's Eleven, and more, through things like using rain to set a dark, murky, uncomfortable, dirty setting. It has also influenced directors like George Lucas(who based his Star Wars on The Hidden Fortress, another Kurosawa Film) and Quentin Tarantino. Through setting familiar tropes and visual innovations, Seven Samurai has truly set its legacy far above other films in Cinematic History.